Julia Goerges Julia Goerges, the 22 year-old rising star from Germany, defeated World No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark for the 2nd time in two weeks. Goerges won the 3rd round of the 2011 WTA Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open in Madrid, Spain in a see-saw 3-set match ending up 6-4, 1-6, 6-3.

While Goerges hit 38 unforced errors to Wozniacki’s 21, she also managed 36 winners to her opponent’s 11. After the match, Goerges said: “I was just focused on playing my game. I hit some high balls to her backhand to get

[Caroline] out of her rhythm on that side, then I went for my shots. I waited for my chances and played my game really well. And, when I was down 4-0 in the second set, I told myself to keep it together for the third set and give everything. I did that pretty well at the end, and served it out well.”

Goerges’ previous two matches were close 3-setters as well. She defeated No. 19 ranked Kaia Kanepi of Estonia in round one 6-7(3-7), 6-1, 6-4 and No. 76 ranked Dinara Safina of Russia in round two 6-4, 4-6, 6-4. While they were close matches, she is showing she has the staying power to win the match.

To show it wasn’t a fluke, Goerges went on to win a straight-sets match in round four against No. 21 ranked Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova of Russia, 6-4, 6-2, to reach the semi-finals. Georges didn’t drop a service game while breaking Pavlyuchenkova three times for her 10th straight victory.

After finishing 2010 ranked No. 40, Goerges climbed in the rankings to No. 27 after defeating Wozniacki recently in the final of the WTA Tour Porsche Tennis Grand Prix. Beating the world No. 1 twice in two weeks, Goerges is showing the world that she is a force to be reckoned with.

Goerges will now play No. 4 seed, Victoria Azarenka of Belarus for a berth in Sunday’s final.