Postby Ian W » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:58 am

:lol: :lol:
Are you Essential?
Ian W
Site Admin

Re: Little-Known Tennis Rules

Postby howho » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:26 pm

that's why royce is a "pro"... :o

you probably had your opponent stewing about it for the rest of the game -and they probably lost!!
howho
5.5 Level Poster
5.5 Level Poster

Postby Royce » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:27 pm

Gamesmanship....
Royce
ET Professional

Postby howho » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:35 pm

Gamesmanship....

:o :o :o
:D :D :D
howho
5.5 Level Poster
5.5 Level Poster

Postby Bibi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:40 pm

Royce wrote:Im not too sure about who can call that... I've called it on my opponent before when his dampner came onto my side of the court.
Im not too sure about who can call that... I've called it on my opponent before when his dampner came onto my side of the court.

So what did your opponent say to that? He couldn't have gone on playing quietly...
Accident prone
Bibi
3.5 Level Poster
3.5 Level Poster

Postby Royce » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:47 pm

He wasnt pleased but he couldnt do anything about it. He knew it...
Royce
ET Professional

Postby fightfan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Royce wrote:Im not too sure about who can call that... I've called it on my opponent before when his dampner came onto my side of the court....He wasnt pleased but he couldnt do anything about it. He knew it...

Haha! I can see that in an inter-collegiate match. I don't think I'd call that in my matches though...unless I was playing a total jerk. That's why it pays to be nice. :lol:
-fightfan
fightfan
5.0 Level Poster
5.0 Level Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:12 am

I was in high school when I did it....
Royce
ET Professional

Postby rattler » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:20 pm

howho wrote:got it. so, who gets to say that the point is over before someone touches the net or the other side? is this kind of like who gets to call a foot fault?

The Code states that the player who does so should call it on himself in the spirit of sportsmanship and fair competition...just as touching the net or having the ball graze you during play.
rattler
3.0 Level Poster
3.0 Level Poster

Postby rattler » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:22 pm

brian.mark wrote:It would be a point, unless it was on a serve. Then, it would be a fault.

nope not a fault...it is a court invasion...the point begins when the serve is struck, so if the serve was good, and the dampener came into your court the point is over.
rattler
3.0 Level Poster
3.0 Level Poster

Postby howho » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:34 pm

i can see some little person having great fun slingshotting dampners into various courts during a tennis tournament....

i think that wilson sells an "economy sized" container of various dampners... perfect for a birthday party celebration... :mrgreen:
howho
5.5 Level Poster
5.5 Level Poster

Postby fightfan » Tue May 04, 2010 5:26 pm

Zz and I were chatting, and the topic of line calls came up. There was a confusing issue that was brought up, and I decided to look at the actual rules. Turns out I was wrong. Perhaps you are unaware too, so I will list it here. I'd be interested to hear if any of you follow this.

From the "USTA Friend at Court 2010" rulebook...

[Page 47] 13. Player calls own shots out. With the exception of the first serve, a player should call against himself or herself any ball the player clearly sees out regardless of whether requested to do so by the opponent. The prime objective in making calls is accuracy. All players should cooperate to attain this objective.

That surprised me. I always thought we lived with opponents' calls, good or bad. Not only are we supposed to admit that a ball was out if asked by our opponent, but we are supposed to volunteer this information without prompting?! Does anyone follow this rule, calling their own shots out? Likewise, has anyone asked an opponent for their opinion? I usually just make the calls on my side and let them make the calls on their side.

[Page 48] 26. Service calls by serving team. Neither the Server nor Server's partner shall make a fault call on the first service even if they think it is out because the Receiver may be giving the Server the benefit of the doubt. There is one exception. If the Receiver plays a first service that is a fault and does not put the return in play, the Server or Server's partner may make the fault call. The Server and the Server's partner shall call out any second serve that either clearly sees out.

We were also discussing whether or not you can call your own serve out. For some reason, I thought you could call your first serve out, but apparently that's the one call you cannot make on your opponent's side. However, you can "admit" to a second serve being out and just lose the point. Again, does anyone follow this rule?
-fightfan
fightfan
5.0 Level Poster
5.0 Level Poster

Postby Devin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Royce wrote:I was in high school when I did it....

Thank god I have a rubber band, hard to make that go across the net :lafhard:
Devin
4.5 Level Poster
4.5 Level Poster

Postby Andrew S » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:53 pm

Jason C wrote:If Ian and I are playing and Ians hat falls off, can he call a let? can i? what if it happens twice? Can he just knock his hat off his head whenever he is in trouble?

-Jason

He can call let the first time it happens. But if it happens again and disrupts play he loses the point.

I think................
It's Not A Good Match Unless You Leave Blood On The Court.
Andrew S
2.0 Level Poster
2.0 Level Poster

Postby brian.mark » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:13 pm

Andrew S wrote:He can call let the first time it happens. But if it happens again and disrupts play he loses the point.

I think................

If you are playing social or recreational tennis, then you should ALWAYS offer to play a let (or a “do-over”) when an extra ball falls from your pocket during a point. The same is true for when your hat falls off your head. Often enough, your opponent will indicate that it was not a distraction and allow the point played to stand.

In a tournament match where an official is present to call the lines, the umpire will always call a let in this circumstance. If it happens repeatedly, then the umpire can penalize the offending player by automatically awarding the point to the opposing player. This eliminates the possibility of gamesmanship.

http://www.usta.com/Improve-Your-Game/R ... Let_Calls/
"There is a fine line between outstanding and out!"
Fremont Tennis
brian.mark

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion