Taylor Dent as Commentator

Talk about whatever you like

Taylor Dent as Commentator

Postby fightfan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:23 pm

I usually don't pay attention to, notice, or remember much about tennis commentators, but I must admit, I really like what I've heard from Taylor Dent so far. Anyone else?
-fightfan
fightfan
5.0 Level Poster
5.0 Level Poster

Re: Taylor Dent as Commentator

Postby ZakToscani » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Agreed. Its nice to hear from a guy fresh out of the game. I like listening to ex-players like Mac, and Courier, etc. But its nice to have that perspective from a guy who was just there, not too mention Dent's a smart guy when it comes to tennis. If only they could get rid of the Jensen brothers.
Like I told my last wife, I said 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes.'" - Jack Burton
ZakToscani
4.5 Level Poster
4.5 Level Poster

Postby Charlzz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:01 pm

fightfan wrote:I usually don't pay attention to, notice, or remember much about tennis commentators, but I must admit, I really like what I've heard from Taylor Dent so far. Anyone else?

I haven't heard him a lot. One nice thing about listening to a player that's ranked as low as Taylor Dent is they know how hard it is to play at that level and still see players even better than you. So Dent once said, despite his big serve, he would not be a good doubles player because he was not a good returner (which probably impacted his singles results). For a while, Patrick McEnroe gave a similar kind of insight because he wasn't ranked in the top ten. Sometimes I think the commentary from top pros misses some of that and that getting a player like Dent helps because they've been in the trenches.
Charlzz
6.5 Level Poster
6.5 Level Poster

Postby brian.mark » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Heard him during the men's doubles and was reminded what I'm doing wrong in singles. I'm playing too much like doubles, but didn't really think about the difference until he pointed it out.

Murphy Jensen is awful... he doesn't understand when to let the tennis speak for itself, and he starts with "I mean" way too often. If he doesn't mean it, he shouldn't say it.

Maybe they'll get Lleyton Hewitt next year. He could be interesting.
"There is a fine line between outstanding and out!"
Fremont Tennis
brian.mark

Return to General Discussion