ETPR Guidelines and Descriptions

Talk about whatever you like

Re: ETPR Guidelines and Descriptions

Postby conditionZero » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:28 am

Mark in Sandy Eggo wrote:On October 9th in the thread "Essential Tennis Premium? Feedback Please" http://www.essentialtennis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1692, I had a post of 923 words which included two emoticons, a change in font size and bold font. By Ron's standards (from tonight's ET Live), I must be at least a ETRP of 5.0 (or at least I was on that day).

Mark in Sandy Eggo

A change in font size????
You were really laying all on the line!!!!
- Joe
conditionZero
3.0 Level Poster
3.0 Level Poster

Postby Ian W » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:24 am

Mark in Sandy Eggo wrote:On October 9th in the thread "Essential Tennis Premium? Feedback Please" http://www.essentialtennis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1692, I had a post of 923 words which included two emoticons, a change in font size and bold font. By Ron's standards (from tonight's ET Live), I must be at least a ETRP of 5.0 (or at least I was on that day).

Mark in Sandy Eggo

Also under review
Are you Essential?
Ian W
Site Admin

Postby Nickk » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:58 pm

*bump just to see my level :lol:
Nickk
1.5 Level Poster
1.5 Level Poster

Postby Gary-Visaman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:46 pm

Mark in Sandy Eggo

I agree with you Mark. Some small consideration should be given in any rating system to factors other than quantity, if people are going to be encouraged to continue to participate and contribute meaningfully, as opposed to just a mad dash for numbers of posts...

*average length (of relevant information) of a participant's post
*average quality of a participant's post
*regularity of contributions of a participant to ET, such as calling in and chats on the Liveshow, blog and article contributions, etc. (I salute those here who contribute blogs and articles as I know how time-consuming and tedious it can be...Thanks!)

Of course, these factors may involve some degree of subjectivity. But that is true of nearly all testing and rating systems to some degree. Even 100% "objective" multiple-choice tests, arguably, involve some subjectivity by the test-maker in the drafting of the questions and possible answers...

Just my 2 centavos...

G.
Latest Blog - Coming soon! The London Summer Olympics 2012!
Video: The London Summer Olympics 2012- Watch it!
Timeless Tennis: A Blog
http://www.timelesstennis.net
Gary-Visaman
5.0 Level Poster
5.0 Level Poster

Postby conditionZero » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:38 am

^^^ I think Mr. Visaman's trying to get some of us bumped down!
- Joe
conditionZero
3.0 Level Poster
3.0 Level Poster

Postby GPT » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:20 am

Gary-Visaman wrote:I agree with you Mark. Some small consideration should be given in any rating system to factors other than quantity, if people are going to be encouraged to continue to participate and contribute meaningfully, as opposed to just a mad dash for numbers of posts...

Isn't this the Twitter conundrum? Numbers of followers vs. the few who really have something to say?

Quick comments of some depth can be very valuable. Just look at the maxims of Benjamin Franklin.
But sheer numbers of posts do not tell the story any more than sheer numbers of games in a set score. Quality of play is not necessarily reflected on the scoreboard.

This is actually why I script my podcast. I want every word to be chosen for its value. I can ramble for hours, and those who have heard me on ET Live probably know this all too well. But give me a chance to think, write, think more, edit, and only then publish or record...the result for me is inevitably better.

But everyone is different. Thank goodness for that! I value all of your opinions (the ET community) simply because I do not know everything.

Just don't tell my kids that.
GPT
3.0 Level Poster
3.0 Level Poster

Postby Gary-Visaman » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:12 am

conditionZero wrote:^^^ I think Mr. Visaman's trying to get some of us bumped down!

LOL...Well, I think it was Newton, when developing the law of gravity, who discovered that "whatever goes up, must come down!" Haha :P

G.
Gary-Visaman
5.0 Level Poster
5.0 Level Poster

Postby Gary-Visaman » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:33 am

Ian W wrote:1.0 This aspiring poster has a computer keyboard, an Internet connection, and a whole lotta catching up to do.

1.5 This poster has limited experience with commentary and demonstrates the basic ability to use the “submit” button to put thoughts into play.

2.0 This poster needs broader message-board skills. He/she has post quoting weaknesses but has learned how to author a new thread.

2.5 This poster is learning to judge where the discussion is going, although response time is still slow. Can sustain a brief exchange of fledgling banter with other posters of the same ability.

3.0 This poster is fairly consistent when responding to medium-difficulty questions, but is not comfortable with all topics. He/she lacks execution when attempting advice, tips, or pointers. His/her most common instructional advice is parroting the posts of board experts.

3.5 This poster has achieved frequent forum visitation with improved control over moderate joshing, but still lacks depth and variety of sarcasm. This poster has begun to exhibit an almost creepy familiarity with other board members.

4.0 This poster has dependable responses including stroke knowledge, photo and video uploading capability, post count padding to win ET freebies, and mastery of humor on both forehand swipes and backhanded compliments.

4.5 This poster has begun to refine his/her posting skills while at work. Job productivity is declining, but message board prowess is increasing. He/she is on the threshold of becoming a forum immortal and an unemployment line regular.

5.0 This poster has good topic anticipation and is quick to draw attention to obscure tennis strokes, emerging professional trends, and the otherworldly number of posts he/she racked up.

This poster is now skipping meals in a desperate race to reach 6.0. He/she is impulsively responding to questions posed in all sections, has Ian’s number on speed-dial, and can site the name of every single Podcast.

6.0 The 6.0 poster typically has had months of intensive message board training during which their obsession begins to assert control. Fellow posters must frequently remind him/her to feed the dog, pay their Internet bill, and blow the dust of their idle racquets.

6.5 Repetitive stress injury is this posters constant companion. In an effort to keep his/her typing fingers nimble, this poster has resorted to taping them together as if he/she were on a Nadalesque quest for ET’s #1 ranking.

7.0 Sleep is no longer important. Family is but a distant memory. This poster is singularly preoccupied with achieving the elusive 8.0 rating. There is no board function he/she doesn’t know, no topic he/she hasn’t discussed.

7.5 This poster has been neither seen nor heard from in weeks. Sightings are reported but never confirmed. Rumors have spread of tragic injury, alien abduction, and worse, defection to the Tennis Warehouse message board.

8.0 This poster is a legend. His/her name is spoken only in reverential tones. And his/her ascent is one not of documented fact, but one of divine faith.

Many thanks for your inspired efforts here, JIRL...

Historically, I can tell you that such ratings systems by professional associations and groups have always incorporated a means and method of appeal to the powers-that-be...

Thus, here is the ETPR Appeal Form (PDF format) for anyone's immediate use...Act now while there is no appeal fee associated with filing an appeal... :P

http://www.usaimmigrationattorney.com/ETPRAppealForm.pdf

G.
Gary-Visaman
5.0 Level Poster
5.0 Level Poster

Postby JohnInRealLife » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Addendum 11.02.09 to the Essential Tennis Poster Rating descriptions:

All appeals, grievances, or whiney retorts, fair or unfair, shall fall on deaf ears.
JohnInRealLife
6.0 Level Poster
6.0 Level Poster

Postby Mark in Sandy Eggo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Here is comes ............... 8-)
Mark in Sandy Eggo
Mark in Sandy Eggo
3.0 Level Poster
3.0 Level Poster

Postby Mark in Sandy Eggo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:26 pm

Oh yeah - Officially an ETRP 2.0 - Goodbye Blue Avitar forever :D
Mark in Sandy Eggo
Mark in Sandy Eggo
3.0 Level Poster
3.0 Level Poster

Postby brian.mark » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:31 pm

Until you get to the next blue.
"There is a fine line between outstanding and out!"
Fremont Tennis
brian.mark

Postby howho » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:18 pm

JohnInRealLife wrote:Addendum 11.02.09 to the Essential Tennis Poster Rating descriptions:

All appeals, grievances, or whiney retorts, fair or unfair, shall fall on deaf ears.

can I get on the death, er., grievance panel...
howho
5.5 Level Poster
5.5 Level Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion